For many homeowners, air ducts are out of sight and out of mind, a disastrous attitude for proper home maintenance. As a responsible homeowner, you must recognize the benefits of clean air ducts and do everything you can to keep them spotless:
Keeping your air ducts clean enhances your home in a variety of ways, namely:
- Energy Efficiency- Clean ducts help the HVAC system to function efficiently, reducing your energy use, expenses, and environmental footprint.
- Better Breathing- Dirty ducts harbor pollution, pollen, and smoke, contributing to allergies and respiratory problems.
- Fending Off Fires- Debris in ducts can clog your home heating system, increasing the risk of fire.
- Lengthened Equipment Life- Clean ducts mean your HVAC system doesn’t have to work as hard, reducing wear and tear.
To fully enjoy these benefits, you must be proactive about duct maintenance, both preventing contamination and responding quickly when it does occur.
Reducing the risk of duct problems requires you to:
- Change your air filter regularly, installing the highest-quality replacement available
- Vacuum and dust to keep out particulates
- Address plumbing and insulation problems that let moisture into the ducts
- Install an air conditioning system that is the right size for your ducts
Choosing A Cleaner
Despite your best efforts, your ducts may nonetheless become unclean, requiring you to find a professional cleaner. The best cleaning services:
- Offer clear estimates of the cost and timing of their services
- List all of the chemicals that they use during cleaning and are upfront about health risks
- Have worked on HVAC systems like yours in the past
- Protect your furniture while they clean
- Have good reviews from past clients and organizations like the Better Business Bureau
Make sure that your service provider will take photographs of your ducts before and after cleaning and show them to you. This allows you to determine how effectively they removed the debris.